Daily Static

Technology, Dynamic Programming and Entrepreneurship

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Wednesday, April 20, 2005
 
Be careful what you wish for

Well I've been wishing for harder problems to work on. Generally I don't come across too many problems at work that require a lot of brain bending effort to solve. Today one of the junior developers (juneys) was working on a problem that he's spent almost two days on. He talked to me a few times during the day about the problem, but he didn't seem to be making much headway, so I finally dropped what I was doing and went and helped him on this issue. It turns out the problem is a pretty interesting undirected graph. I spent maybe an hour working on it with him, at which point I decided this wasn't a good problem for him to tackle, and sent him packing. The joy of being a senior developer. :)

I'm getting ready to build a solution for the problem right now, which is unfortunately going to keep me from spending too much time on the Nested Sets implementation for Rails. I got some helpful feedback from Glen on the rubyonrails weblog that the blog isn't a support forum for rails, and that I should head over to the rails channel or to the mailing list. I did head to the irc channel, and someone finally suggested I search through the tickets for rails for the nested sets check in. I did exactly that and found some test cases. In any event this will give me some test code to work with. I am envisioning something a little easier to use and set up with the Nested Sets than the current incarnation though. Although as I work through the code, if I decide the current implementation is good I'll post a walk through on how to get it up and running. If nothing else, maybe I'll add an implementation for Transitive Closure tables. :)


Comments: Post a Comment